86 Inspirational Quotes to Keep You Motivated Today and Every Day
Look to these inspirational quotes the next time you need a little push.
Inspirational quotes may not provide an immediate fix, but they can help steer you toward a better place. Whether you're feeling insecure about work, unsettled about events in your personal life, or just a general lack of motivation, words have a way of providing a much-needed reset. Below, we've collected some of the most powerful messages provided over the years. Whether you're looking for advice on how to succeed, how to show yourself more love, or how to embrace change, we've got you covered. Read on to get started!
READ THIS NEXT: 70+ Amazing Life Quotes That Will Instantly Inspire You.
What Does It Mean to Feel Inspired?
Inspiration looks different on everyone. For some, it means maintaining the drive needed to go after your goals. For others, it means drumming up new motivation for other, alternative pursuits. Interpretations will vary, but the impacts are pretty well defined.
What we know is this: Those who report feelings of inspiration have an easier time expressing creativity over time. They also tend to set more ambitious goals for themselves. Maybe most importantly, these individuals possess higher levels of well-being than those who remain uninspired.
Of course, different positions in life can make it easier to achieve this kind of mentality. While we can't always do much to change our circumstances, we can extract the strength needed to at least change the way we approach them. And sure, for some folks, that process takes on more of a literary form.
Inspiring Quotes About Loving Yourself and Others
- "It is only when we take chances when our lives improve. The initial and the most difficult risk that we need to take is to become honest." — Walter Anderson
- "The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be." — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile." — Franklin P. Jones
- "If you have the ability to love, love yourself first." — Charles Bukowski
- "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." — Marilyn Monroe
- "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." — Aristotle
- "Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within." — James Baldwin
- "Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone's life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance."― Roy T. Bennett
- "When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream." — Paulo Coelho
- "The best way to gain self-confidence is to do what you are afraid to do." — Swati Sharma
- "How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you." — Rupi Kaur
- "A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."— George R.R. Martin
- "You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, love like you'll never be hurt, sing like there's nobody listening, and live like it's heaven on earth." — William W. Purkey
- "You alone are enough, you have nothing to prove to anybody." — Maya Angelou
- "Believe in yourself. Stay in your own lane. There's only one you." — Queen Latifah
READ THIS NEXT: Good Morning Messages for Friends Who Mean the Most.
Short Inspirational Quotes
- "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." — Mahatma Gandhi
- "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships." — Michael Jordan
- "Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." — Vince Lombardi
- "Everything you can imagine is real."― Pablo Picasso
- "Whatever you are, be a good one." ― Abraham Lincoln
- "It's hard to beat a person who never gives up." — Babe Ruth
- "When you have a dream, you've got to grab it and never let go." — Carol Burnett
- "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." — Henry Ford
- "People's passion and desire for authenticity is strong." — Constance Wu
- "You do not find the happy life. You make it."— Camilla Eyring Kimball
- "The secret of getting ahead is getting started." — Mark Twain
- "All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." — Walt Disney
- "Happiness is not something readymade. It comes from your own actions." — Dalai Lama
- "That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
- "The best revenge is massive success." — Frank Sinatra
- "The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." — Michael Altshuler
- "Do one thing every day that scares you." — Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love" — Buddha
- "Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will." — Suzy Kassem
- "A negative mind will never give you a positive life." — Unknown
- "In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity." — Albert Einstein
- "Happiness is not by chance, but by choice." — Jim Rohn
Motivational Quotes About Change
- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness: Only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: Only love can do that." — Martin Luther King Jr.
- "Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." — Neil Gaiman
- "Waiting insistently in front of a tightly closed door is unfair to all of the open doors. Give a chance to the open doors." — Mehmet Murat İldan
- "When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." — Helen Keller
- "Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself." ― Rumi
- "Your mind is powerful. When you fill it with positive thoughts your whole world will change." ― Unknown
- "It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then." — Lewis Carroll
- "Change is the law of life, and those who look only to the past and present are certain to miss the future." — John F. Kennedy
- "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." — Winston Churchill
- "Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." — Harriet Tubman
- "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits." ― Thomas Edison
- "The measure of intelligence is the ability to change." — Albert Einstein
- "No one changes the world who isn't obsessed." — Billie Jean King
- "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." — Nelson Mandela
- "How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." — Anne Frank
- "Mistakes are a fact of life. It is the response to the errors that counts." — Nikki Giovanni
READ THIS NEXT: 102 Sad Quotes on Love, Life, and Loneliness.
Powerful Quotes About Success
- "The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle." — Steve Jobs
- "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed." — Michael Jordan
- "You learn more from failure than from success. Don't let it stop you. Failure builds character." — Unknown
- "Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." — Socrates
- "We need to accept that we won't always make the right decisions, that we'll screw up royally sometimes―understanding that failure is not the opposite of success, it's part of success." ― Arianna Huffington
- "If you hear a voice within you say, 'You cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." ― Vincent van Gogh
- "It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect its successful outcome." — William James
- "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." ― Chinese Proverb
- "It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it." ― Lou Holtz
- "If you hire people just because they can do a job, they'll work for your money. But if you hire people who believe what you believe, they'll work for you with blood and sweat and tears." ― Simon Sinek
- "Stay true to yourself, yet always be open to learn. Work hard, and never give up on your dreams, even when nobody else believes they can come true but you. These are not cliches but real tools you need no matter what you do in life to stay focused on your path." ― Phillip Sweet
- "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." ― Mark Twain
- "The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." — Winston Churchill
- "If you are working on something that you really care about, you don't have to be pushed. The vision pulls you." — Steve Jobs
- "Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success." — Dale Carnegie
- "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ― Confucius
Inspirational Quotes for Women
- "Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness." — Oprah Winfrey
- "A woman with a voice is, by definition, a strong woman. But the search to find that voice can be remarkably difficult." — Melinda French Gates
- "Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water." — Eleanor Roosevelt
- "Some women choose to follow men, and some choose to follow their dreams. If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore." — Lady Gaga
- "Women have discovered that they cannot rely on men's chivalry to give them justice." — Helen Keller
- "I am thankful for my struggle because, without it, I wouldn't have stumbled across my strength." — Alex Elle
- "Be messy and complicated and afraid and show up anyways." — Glennon Doyle
- "Everyone has inside of her a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be, how much you can love, what you can accomplish, and what your potential is." — Anne Frank
- "It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent." — Madeleine Albright
- "If you can dance and be free and not be embarrassed, you can rule the world."— Amy Poehler
- "You can be gorgeous at thirty, charming at forty, and irresistible for the rest of your life." — Coco Chanel
- "Women belong in all places where decisions are being made… It shouldn't be that women are the exception." — Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- "If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman." — Margaret Thatcher
- "Justice is about making sure that being polite is not the same thing as being quiet. In fact, oftentimes, the most righteous thing you can do is shake the table." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- "Women challenge the status quo because we are never it." — Cindy Gallop
- "The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." — Alice Walker
- "Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you." — Hillary Clinton
READ THIS NEXT: 104 Friendship Quotes to Celebrate Your Number One.
How You Can Use Positive Quotes in Everyday Life
Listed below are a few tips for replicating these messages in real life.
Surround Yourself With Positive People
Say what you will about the positive population, but they do tend to rub off on you. They'll always be there to offer encouragement when you feel a lack of motivation creeping up. Sometimes, that means extending a little extra support. Other times, it means holding you accountable for your own goals.
Seek Out New Experiences
New experiences provide new perspectives, and that's an important part of staying inspired, especially over long stretches of time. They can also help ignite new ideas–the kinds of things you would have never uncovered without stepping outside of your comfort zone, and that you walk away from feeling inspired and proud.
Create the Right Kind of Environment
Set yourself up for success. An organized environment will help minimize distractions and promote productivity. It can also reduce stress, which leaves more room for creative thought.
Celebrate the Small Stuff
Celebrating even your more minor victories is an important way to show yourself some appreciation. Besides, we all need a win now and then. Without them, we probably wouldn't have the kind of confidence needed to keep going.
That's it for our list of inspirational quotes, but be sure to check back in with us soon for more inspiring words! You can also sign up for our newsletter to enjoy hit pieces on health, entertainment, and travel.