100 "I Miss You" Messages (And Quotes!) for Everyone in Your Life
Use these "I miss you" messages to stay connected over time and distance.
Blasting out a few "I miss you" messages may seem like an obvious and overused move, but it really can make a difference for those on the receiving end. Whether you're trying to reaffirm your connection with a long-distance partner or simply missing someone special in your life, a few kind words can go a long way. And the more detailed, the better, because those generic messages just don't seem to hit as hard. So, if you're having a hard time thinking of things to say, keep reading. We've provided a list of 100 things you can incorporate into your next communication.
READ THIS NEXT: 134 Good Morning Messages for Her.
"I Miss You" Messages for Lovers
- Counting down the days until we're together again. It doesn't cure my loneliness, but it helps.
- Get out of my thoughts and back into my arms where you belong.
- It's too bad you're away. There are a lot of ways I'd like to be entertaining you right now.
- Come back soon before your side of the bed gets any colder.
- There's no place I'd rather be in the entire world than by your side. Missing you so much today.
- It may sound cheesy but I'll tell you this much: I'd really rather be kissing you than missing you.
- Sending you lots of hugs and kisses. We may be far apart but my heart is always with you.
- Thanking my lucky stars tonight that we have so many wonderful memories together to help me get through this time apart.
- I love watching you fall asleep with your arms wrapped around me. It's always worth the wait.
- Longing for your touch and looking forward to an eventful reunion.
- I can feel my heart calling for you tonight. Time to make arrangements so I can finally see that amazing smile again.
- They say love transcends distance, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to see you IRL.
- Come back here and hold me. It's the only way to mend this poor, broken heart of mine.
Sweet "I Miss You" Messages for Him
- I miss you, I kiss you, I hug you, I love you, baby!
- You're the only one who can put a smile back on my face. I miss you so much.
- You are just impossible to forget about.
- I love my handsome boyfriend more than anything in the whole world. Now, if only I had the opportunity to tell him that in person.
- I started thinking about our nights together and now I just can't stop missing you. Come back, please.
- It's OK, I only miss you when I'm awake.
- Enjoy your time away but don't forget to miss me every once in a while. I know I'll be counting the days until you're back home.
- Thankful that whenever I feel lonely, you know exactly how to cheer me up. Still, it doesn't stop me from missing you.
- There's only one person out there who can put an end to my heartache, and that's you. I miss you so much.
- I'm so lucky to have such a handsome husband. Now, if only he'd come home to me.
- Thinking about putting your cologne on my pillow so that I can fall asleep to your scent.
- A little dose of you is just what the heart needs to get through these long, lonely nights—even if it comes in the form of FaceTime.
- I miss you more than the sun misses the sky at night.
- There aren't enough words in the English language to express how much I miss you.
READ THIS NEXT: 113 Good Morning Messages for Him to Start the Day.
Missing You Text Messages for Friends
- Time just drags on when you aren't here. I miss you so much.
- I feel like I lost my left arm. Come back soon!
- Eating cheese and drinking wine by myself again. If only you were here so we could enjoy all these wonderful things together.
- You know things are getting bad when I start salivating over the sound of my phone going off. Come back soon!
- I understand you have other obligations, but who am I supposed to hang out with while you're gone?
- I miss you so badly, I almost feel like we're dating. Something to discuss when you get back.
- All right, this is getting a little ridiculous. You, me, and reality TV—now.
- You've been gone so long that I'm starting to forget your face. I need you back now!
- Really not thriving with you away. Come back now, please.
- Wishing you all the success while you're out there on the road, but that doesn't mean I want you gone forever—get back here soon!
- Feeling a bit lost without you around. I need my other half back here with me.
"I Miss You" Messages for Long Distance Partners
- Every song I hear reminds me of how much you mean to me. Wishing you were here by my side.
- I feel so lucky to have someone in my life that makes saying goodbye so hard. I wish we didn't have to do it so often.
- Cherishing every single moment we get to spend together. Can't wait for the next time the opportunity rolls around.
- The only cure for my broken heart is the promise of seeing you again soon. I miss you so much.
- Missing you a lot at this very moment. Arranging travel now so that I have something to look forward to.
- I didn't realize how spoiled I had become, getting to see you every day. This is going to be a rough adjustment.
- Thinking about how great we are together and missing you extra hard today.
- I am constantly struck by how much I miss you every time you're away.
- Missing you has become my hobby.
- I miss you so much today, but doing my best to function properly with you gone.
- I keep fantasizing about when we'll get to see each other again. I'll be so overwhelmed with happiness, I won't even know what to do with myself.
- Missing you every time my heart beats, my eyes blink, and every second of every day.
- I can't wait to see you and that gorgeous smile again soon. Missing you a lot today.
READ THIS NEXT: 102 Sad Quotes on Love, Life, and Loneliness.
Romantic "I Miss You" Messages
- Hope you have the sweetest dreams following a bright, sunny day. If only I were there to tuck you in myself.
- Not being able to hold you is the worst feeling ever. Counting down the days until we're together again.
- I swear, when you aren't here, the sun forgets to shine.
- I miss you in the daytime because you are my sunshine. I miss you in the nighttime because you are my shining star.
- Every time I open my eyes and you're not there, I stop to think about just how much I miss you.
- I feel like there's a hole in my heart without you here. Only your voice could get my blood pumping again.
- Hey babe, did you know my love for you carries me across valleys, down rivers, and even over the highest mountains? Because I promise, it can.
- I miss you, and I miss us.
- The sun shines a lot brighter when you're around. Doing what I can to help clear the skies.
- I miss your lips and everything they're attached to.
- The joy you've introduced into my life overwhelms me sometimes, but I'm never not thankful.
- I always look forward to falling asleep when we're apart. Dreaming of you makes me feel as if I'm already back home where I belong.
- Missing you a little too much, a little too often, and a little more each day.
- Knowing that you'll be in my life forever is the only thing that helps bury the distance between us. We'll get through this.
"I Miss You" Messages to Make Her Smile
- My heart aches for you when you're not here. It's going to be one epic reunion when I see you again.
- Sometimes I wonder if you miss me as much as I miss you. I guess I'll just have to figure out a way for you to prove you do.
- I miss you so much, honey. Counting down the seconds until I see you again.
- Don't worry—we may be far apart, but we're both looking at the same sky above. The distance doesn't mean a thing, my love.
- I can feel you around me, even when we're miles apart. It's amazing the hold you have here.
- Time moves slower when I miss you.
- This house feels way too empty when you're away.
- The thought of seeing you again keeps my blood pumping and my heart beating.
- I'll stop missing you just as soon as we're together again.
- I thought I could handle being apart from you, but this is a lot harder than expected.
- There is no better feeling than knowing you're putzing around in the next room. Come back soon.
- I'm trying to focus but everything reminds me of you.
- I miss you so much. You better come back soon to fill up all these holes in my heart.
- I'm giving you the biggest hug the next time I see you. Missing you like crazy.
READ THIS NEXT: 126 Love Messages for Her to Show How Much You Care.
"I Miss You" Quotes From Names You Know
- "If you never left again, I would still spend the rest of my life missing you." — Tessa Bailey
- "I miss you in ways that not even words can understand." — Gemma Troy
- "Distance unites missing beats of two hearts in love." — Munia Khan
- "I only miss you when I'm breathing." — Jason Derulo
- "When we miss someone, often, what we really miss is the part of us that with this someone awakens." — Luigina Sgarro
- "Poets use countless words to describe their pain, but I only need three: I miss you." ― Caroline George
- "I think about you constantly, whether it's with my mind or my heart." — Terri Guillemets
- "We only part to meet again." — John Gay
- "What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you." — Richard Wilbur
- "In case you ever foolishly forget: I am never not thinking of you." — Virginia Woolf
- "But nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it." — Calla Quinn
- "I miss you deeply, unfathomably, senselessly, terribly." — Franz Kafka
- "You're everywhere except right here and it hurts." — Rupi Kaur
- "There's solace in the thought that I will never finish missing her." — Jim Crace
- "How is it that he's always in my thoughts even when I am not thinking?" — Sanober Khan
- "Knowing someone isn't coming back doesn't mean you ever stop waiting." — Toby Barlow
- "When you miss me, just look up to the night sky and remember, I'm like a star; sometimes you can't see me, but I'm always there." — Jayde Nicole
- "My love is selfish. I cannot breathe without you." — John Keats
- "I wish I had done everything on Earth with you." — F. Scott Fitzgerald
- "As long as we share the same sky and breathe the same air, we're still together." — Donna Lynn Hope
- "Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated." — Alphonse de Lamartine
Why Is It Important to Let Someone Know You Miss Them?
Letting someone know you miss them is an easy way of communicating how important their presence in your life is. Not only that, these kinds of messages are incredibly reaffirming for the recipients involved.
According to a 2015 study published in the Journal Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, a good deal of human emotion arises out of imagined rejection by other people. They also discovered that feelings of loneliness and homesickness tended to spike among individuals who weren't receiving much interaction or support from the ones they love.
That's not to say the person neglecting to send out these affirmations is actually trying to pull away, it just means that without a certain kind of contact, those on the other end of things will likely experience some kind of loss or rejection. And that rings especially true when compared to individuals whose partners managed to send out—you guessed it— a few messages about how much they miss them.
Circumstances that put friends, family, or couples in high-stress situations require specific ways of maneuvering. If it looks like distance will be factored into your future, it's important to discuss ways to minimize feelings of loss or aloneness.
Without the opportunity to provide any in-person support, phone calls, FaceTime, or even the antique art of writing letters become increasingly important vehicles for communication. And, of course, what you say matters. Be specific, be sincere, and let them know exactly what you miss about them being there.
That's it for our list of "I miss you" messages, but be sure to check back in with us soon for more ways to connect to the ones you love. You can also sign up for our newsletter so you don't miss out on what's next!