Ring Doorbells Are Being Recalled for This Frightening Reason

It turns out this popular home safety product may not actually be all that safe.

circle

Technology has made protecting your home a lot easier these days, with alarm systems and video doorbells that sync with your smartphone, allowing you to constantly monitor your house when you're not there. But it turns out, the one thing you're using to keep your home safe from intruders could be posing a different danger itself. Some hugely popular Ring doorbells are being recalled after multiple reports that they can catch on fire. Read on to find out more about this recall and for another dangerous item in your home, know that If You Bought This at Walmart, It Could Make You Sick.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Ring LLC has received 85 incident reports of incorrect doorbell screws being installed with their video doorbells, which have resulted in 23 Ring doorbells igniting, causing both minor property damage and eight reports of minor burns to users.

As a result, Ring has recalled about 350,000 of its second generation video doorbells in the U.S. and an additional 8,700 units sold in Canada. The recall specifically affects the second generation Ring doorbells with the model number 5UM5E5, sold from June 2020 through Oct. 2020. Consumers can check to see if their doorbell is affected by the recall by entering the serial number on Ring's website.

The company simply says that consumers with affected Ring doorbells "should immediately stop installing the recalled video doorbells and contact Ring for revised installation instructions," adding that "if the doorbell is installed correctly, there is no risk to consumers or potential hazard present."

In the company's updated instructions, Ring provides a visible warning related to the issue with the screws. It warns users not to use "any screw other than the included short security screws" when securing their doorbell to its bracket. If you don't use these specific screws, Ring warns customers that they could "damage the battery during installation, create a fire hazard, and be seriously injured."

Ring doorbells are not the only thing you need to be worried about in your home, however. For more recent recalls that may affect you, read on, and for a toxic product that could be lurking in your bathroom, know that If You Use This Mouthwash, Get Rid of It Right Now.

Read the original article on Best Life.

1
Yeti Rambler travel mugs

Shutterstock

If you're taking your coffee to go, you should double check what you're drinking it out of. Yeti just recalled around 15,000 Rambler travel mugs for potential injury and burn hazards. According to the CPSC, the magnet slider that secures these mugs' lids can accidentally eject, causing hot contents of the mug to spill out and potentially burn users. And for more dangers in your kitchen, check out If You Use This in Your Oven, You Need to Stop Now.

2
Homerygardens extension cord splitters

black cord plugged into blue extension cord
Shutterstock/

Homerygardens recalled their outdoor extension cord splitters in mid-October after it was reported that they were a potential fire hazard. The CPSC reported that the wiring inside this device could not actually handle the amp load it claimed to support and it lacked "protective features" that could prevent a fire. And for more potential fire hazards, read up on The Common Pest That Could Cause a Fire in Your Home.

3
Rogue Fitness home timers

closeup of digital timer, black with red numbers
Shutterstock

Coulter Ventures' Rogue Home Timers have also been recalled for their potential to start a fire. According to the CPSC, these devices, which measure the duration of your workout, contain a lithium-ion battery that can overheat, burn, and start a fire. And for more useful content delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.

4
Harbor Breeze and Great Falls ceiling fans

wooden ceiling fan on bright white ceiling
Shutterstock

Both Harbor Breeze's 70-inch Kingsbury ceiling fans and Great Falls' outdoor ceiling fans from Westinghouse Lighting were recalled in mid-October after multiple reports of serious injuries. The CPSC reported that Harbor Breeze's light globe could fall out, "posing impact and laceration injury hazards," and Great Falls' fan blades were prone to cracking and breaking, "posing an impact injury hazard," as well. And for more home risks that you should know about, A New Study Says This Might Be the Most Dangerous Thing in Your Home.

Kali Coleman
Kali is an assistant editor at Best Life. Read more
Filed Under
 •  •
Best Life
Live smarter, look better,​ and live your life to the absolute fullest.
Get Our Newsletter Every Day!
Enter your email address to get the best tips and advice.
close modal
close modal
GET YOUR FREE GIFT
SUBSCRIBE