30 Quotes About Change to Help You Get Through Hard Times
Let these quotes about change inspire you to embrace life as it ebbs and flows.
While change can be beautiful, it can also be quite frightening. But many of the most prominent figures in our society rose to greatness as a result of a change—and so can you. The next time you find yourself feeling anxious about something new or unplanned in your life, turn to these quotes about change for support. Nobody knows about the positives of transformation quite like the people who've been there!
- "Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."
- "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."
- "All great changes are preceded by chaos."
- "Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward."
- "Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."
- "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often."
—Winston S. Churchill
- "True life is lived when tiny changes occur."
- "Change is the end result of all true learning."
- "A bend in the road is not the end of the road… unless you fail to make the turn."
- "The measure of intelligence is the ability to change."
- "If there is no struggle, there is no progress."
- "Where there's hope, there's life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again."
- "People who can change and change again are so much more reliable and happier than those who can't."
—Stephen Fry, from Moab Is My Washpot
- "I cannot say whether things will get better if we change; what I can say is that they must change if they are going to get better."
- "In every change, in every falling leaf, there is some pain, some beauty. And that's the way new leaves grow."
- "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
- "Anyone who isn't embarrassed of who they were last year probably isn't learning enough."
—Alain de Botton
- "We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it."
—Rick Warren, from The Purpose Driven Life
- "Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don't."
—Steve Maraboli, from Life, the Truth, and Being Free
- "If we don't change, we don't grow. If we don't grow, we aren't really living."
- "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."
—Viktor E. Frankl, from Man's Search for Meaning
- "You're only as young as the last time you changed your mind."
- "Either way, change will come. It could be bloody, or it could be beautiful. It depends on us."
- "Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose."
—Lyndon B. Johnson
- "Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."
- "You will evolve past certain people. Let yourself."
—Mandy Hale, from The Single Woman
- "Each of us has the opportunity to change and grow until our very last breath. Happy creating."
- "The one law that does not change is that everything changes, and the hardship I was bearing today was only a breath away from the pleasures I would have tomorrow, and those pleasures would be all the richer because of the memories of this I was enduring."
- "We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us."
- "It's never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There's no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it."
—F. Scott Fitzgerald, from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button