51 Positive Affirmations to Make Your World a Better Place
Incorporating a few positive affirmations into your everyday routine can make all the difference.
Have you ever tried to talk yourself into feeling some type of way or acting in a certain manner? If so, and if you're doing it with some regularity, you might be interested to know that there's a name for that sort of thing. It's called self-affirmation, and many people lean on it to create a more hopeful spin on the world around them. In some instances, practicing positive affirmations has even been shown to help eliminate negative self-talk and boost self-esteem.
In theory, this form of self-care can also make it easier to enjoy the positive aspects of everyday life—an approach known to secure a more positive mental health mindset overall. There are different ways of practicing this form of positive thinking, too. Whether you repeat a few simple statements out loud every day or jot them down on some sticky notes to leave around the house is up to you. Below, we'll discuss the origins of the practice, along with a few easy affirmations to pepper into your daily routine.
READ THIS NEXT: 107 Monday Motivation Quotes That Will Inspire You.
What Are Positive Affirmations?
A positive affirmation accounts for any mantra repeated for the sake of bringing yourself closer to a certain goal or experience. These phrases are often short, stated as fact, and used in the present tense. Though sometimes dismissed as pseudoscience or otherwise, the practice has been around for quite some time.
French psychologist and pharmacist Emile Coué is known as the father of affirmations. As a young physician during the turn of the 20th century, Coué began employing a technique called "conscious autosuggestion," where he would encourage patients to repeat the line, "Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better."
According to Coué, the patients who put the most stock into what they were saying were more likely to recover quickly. He later came to call this the Law of Concentrated Attention, which states, "Whenever attention is concentrated on an idea over and over again, it spontaneously tends to realize itself."
Do Self-Affirmations Actually Work?
It's hard to accurately gauge the effectiveness of positive affirmations. There's not a lot of concrete science out there, and even attempts to quantify its impact may fall short of certain expectations. While we can't say each individual mantra will actually come true, research has shown that self-affirmations can help create positive changes in parts of the brain associated with self-worth and reward.
Perhaps one of the most powerful examples surrounding the impact of positive affirmations is in how they have been used among cancer survivors. In a 2016 study published in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine, researchers found that patients who regularly recited positive affirmations experienced a lower likelihood of cognitive impairment, greater hopefulness, and better health overall.
We can also draw certain parallels to other psychological concepts like hypnosis or the power of the placebo effect. With regular practice, these methods have been shown to introduce specific health benefits that can help practitioners mitigate stress, improve mental health, and overcome negative thoughts.
READ THIS NEXT: 70+ Amazing Life Quotes That Will Instantly Inspire You.
Positive Affirmations for Women
- My body deserves to be taken care of, so I feed it nourishing food and energizing exercise.
- Every day, I make choices that support my well-being and my self-worth.
- I deserve information and I deserve moments of silence, too.
- My body is beautiful in this moment and at its current size.
- I do not engage with people who try to penetrate my mind with unhelpful thoughts and ideas.
- I walk away when a person or a situation isn't healthy for me.
- My bravery shines in every act and every decision.
- I gain more experience and more wisdom as I age.
- There is peace in changing your mind when it is done in love.
- I am healing and strengthening every day.
- Note to self: I am going to make you so proud.
- I am constantly growing and evolving into a better person.
- Growth may be uncomfortable, but it's a journey I choose to be present for.
- I am going to forgive myself and free myself. I deserve to forgive and be forgiven.
- I create my happiness by accepting every part of myself with unconditional love.
- I must remember the incredible power I possess within me to achieve anything I desire.
Short Positive Affirmations
- I am a wonderful person.
- I make healthy choices.
- I am grateful for my strong, healthy body.
- I will find joy in everything I do.
- I deserve love and happiness.
- I am allowed to feel good.
- I deserve to be seen.
- Today will be a productive day.
- I will always hold onto hope.
- I am a living, breathing example of motivation.
- I am love and I am light. All is well.
- I have everything I need to succeed.
- I don't have to give up my hopes and dreams.
- I have the courage to go after my dreams.
- Feeling my emotions is a powerful thing.
- I love to smile; it is my gift to the world.
- I am always capable of creating inner peace.
- I am worthy of feeling happy.
READ THIS NEXT: 86 Inspirational Quotes to Keep You Motivated Today and Every Day.
Powerful Daily Affirmations
- With positive thoughts and self-confidence, I will be unstoppable.
- Self-love is a process and I can choose to enjoy the journey of discovery.
- I'm freeing myself from all destructive doubt and fear.
- I do not have to linger in dark places; there is help for me here.
- I do not rush through my life, I temper speed with stillness.
- I am not defined by my past; I am driven by my future.
- I feed my spirit. I train my body. I focus my mind. This is my time.
- My past might be ugly, but I am still beautiful.
- I leave room in my life for spontaneity.
- I make time to experience grief and sadness when necessary.
- Good things flow toward me and I embrace the abundance.
- I am proud of myself and will continue to strive to do well.
- I have done difficult things in the past, and I can do them again.
- I belong in this world; there are people that care about me and my worth.
- Through the power of my thoughts and words, incredible transformations are happening in me and within my life right now.
- My life has meaning. What I do has meaning. My actions are meaningful and inspiring.
- Happiness is a choice, and today I choose to be happy.
That's it for our list of positive affirmations, but be sure to check back in with us soon for even more ways to live your best life! You can also sign up for our newsletter so you don't miss out on what's next.