41 Funny Out-of-Office Messages to Break Up the Work Week
Lighten the mood while you're away with these hilarious email prompts.
There's not always a lot of room to show off your personality at work, but don't discount the opportunities you do have, including your out-of-office message alerts. While these automated messages are often unexciting, they don't have to be. Your out-of-office message can be a way to showcase your sense of humor and provide some entertainment for your colleagues and clients.
Of course, you don't want to push the envelope too far. No boss wants to see one of their representatives abusing their out-of-office email privileges, but there's no harm in having a little fun. If you're looking for a little inspiration, then be sure to keep reading below. We've put together 41 of our favorite funny out-of-office messages for you to consider next time you're away from your desk.
Funny Out-of-Office Messages That Are Totally Random
- Is this heaven? No, it's Missouri—where I'll be for the next couple of days, participating in my last conference of the year.
- I'll email you back once I've defrosted.
- You've reached my out-of-office mission statement, which was absolutely not written by Ryan Reynolds or any other famous celebrity.
- Hello. I am out-of-office from [DATE] to [DATE]. If found, contact someone other than me.
- Hi, there. I am out of the office from [DATE] to [DATE] and will have limited access to email because I am limiting my access to email. I look forward to connecting upon my return.
- Guess who is available via email this week? Me, your friendly email autoresponder robot.
- I am on annual leave from [DATE] to [DATE]. I will allow each sender one email. If you send me multiple emails, the system will randomly delete them until parsed down to one. Choose wisely!
- I have hopped onto the Hogwarts Express. I will have zero access to your Muggle modes of communication during this time.
- I can't respond to my emails today. Something has crashed on my computer and the mouse is missing.
Funny Out-of-Office Messages When on Vacation
- I am currently away from the office. Email contact during this time may be irregular or nonexistent.
- Alexa, play "Vacation" by Dirty Heads.
- Can you guess where I am?
- If your message is urgent, don't worry—we'll take care of it. Please send me an email at [email protected]. Just kidding. That's not a real email address. I'll be back in the office on [DATE] and will happily respond then. Have a great weekend!
- I am currently out of the office and probably chilling on the beach. Enjoy your work week.
- I'll get back to you when I return to civilization.
- I am currently out of the office and will return [DATE]. If you need immediate assistance, please contact [NAME]. He/she will be burdened by my absence until I return.
- Hi, there. I am currently on vacation. If you still need to reach me, you can email [email protected]. Or you can email my assistant at a[email protected]. They can point you in the right direction.
- So here's the thing: I'm not in the office right now. I'm—well, I know you don't want to hear this as you're probably working, yourself, but—I'm actually on vacation. In other news, I will be back at my desk on [DATE]. If you need someone today and that's it, there's no convincing you otherwise, then please email [NAME].
- Hey there. The bad news is that I'm out-of-office. The good news is that I'm out-of-office.
OOO Message Ideas When Working from Home
- Thank you so much for your email. I love it already. It's wrapped so nicely in its charming subject line that I just knew this message was going to be something special. Gifts like these just don't come around every day. Unfortunately, I am out of the office and will not be able to respond until [DATE].
- Hello. I am out of order until further notice.
- Hi there, You got this email immediately (classic autoresponder behavior), which means I'm on vacation. While I hypothetically could reach my email, while I hypothetically do have my phone on hand, and while I hypothetically do have access to WiFi, my kids are growing up at the speed of a supersonic jet, and if I blink one more time, they'll be 35. And I'll be 73. And I don't want that.
- Hello! [YOUR NAME] is not available via email this week, but I am happy to service you. As an auto-responder, I spend the vast majority of my time sitting around waiting for [YOUR NAME] to take a vacation or for the [COMPANY EVENT] to roll around. The latter is precisely what is going on now.
- I am away from my computer at this moment. I will still be away from my computer at the next moment and returning at a later moment. If you have any issues at the current moment, and they cannot wait until a later moment, please contact my manager, who may actually be away at the moment. Moment. Moment.
- Hello! You might remember me from masterpieces like Going to a Vet Appointment That Is Definitely Not Another Job Interview and Eek! There Is a Spider in My Ear! This time it's [YOUR REASON], and I'll be back on [DATE]. That's all I'll tell you for now, but watch for me in the upcoming debut of Out of Office: I Am Not Hungover and Its Food Poisoning, I Promise. Please, be careful out there.
- If you're reading this, Doc Brown was unable to make lightning strike the clock tower, and I'm stuck in 1985. I won't be able to respond to emails or voicemails until 9ish on [DATE], or until email is invented — whatever comes first.
- I'll be on vacation and unable to respond to emails for the next week. I will probably see your message because I don't know how to relax and will likely respond if I feel that I need to help in any way. Otherwise, I'll get back to you when I return. Thanks!
Creative Out-of-Office Messages You Can Expect From Gen-Z
- The e-mail server is unable to verify your server connection. Your message has not been delivered. Please restart your computer and try sending it again.
- I am out of the office from [DATE] to [DATE] and will not be checking email. It's likely your note will be swallowed in a sea of inbox banality, never to be seen again. If you require a response, please resend your email after [DATE].
- Thank you for your email. Your credit card has been charged $5.99 for the first 10 words and $1.99 for each additional word in your message.
- I am currently out of the office. I have a cell phone, but I will not be giving the number out. If you can guess the number, however, I will take your call.
- I am out-of-office and returning next week. I have incredibly easy access to a phone and email, but I assure you it will not be used for work purposes.
- You are receiving this automatic notification because I am out of the office. If I was in, chances are you wouldn't have received anything at all.
- I am on paid leave right now for two weeks. When I get back, I will be on paid return. Upon completing my one week of paid return, I will address any issues or questions you have at a pace I am comfortable with. This is most likely a pace that you will not be comfortable with.
- Your message contained 15 characters too many for our system to accept at the present time. Please reformat and re-send.
Funny OOO Messages to Use During the Holiday Season
- Hey there. Sorry I missed you. I'll be out of the office and slow to respond until after the break. While I have you though, please help settle an argument between my colleagues and me about which is the best Die Hard movie. Tick the appropriate box below and I will answer your email and let you know the results when I return. Thank you for your consideration during this festive or not-festive time.
- Die Hard 1: The Office Christmas Party Gone Wrong
- Die Hard 2: Airport Conspiracy
- Die Hard 3: Samuel L. Jackson. Enough said
- Die Hard 4: Cyberthreat
- Die Hard 5: You should probably not pick this one
- Impossible! It's like choosing a favorite child!
- Hello! I'm taking time off for the holidays, and instead of writing emails, I'm writing my wish list for next year. Spoiler alert: it includes more vacation time.
- I'm currently away from the office. When I return, I'll give your email a good solid read. But until then, I'm going to keep it in the inbox so it doesn't get damaged. Happy holidays!
- Since I'm out of the office for the Thanksgiving weekend, I'll respond to your email with a list of 10 things I'm thankful for. Have a great holiday, and I'll get back to you Monday.
- Co-workers that brew more coffee when they empty the pot
- Donuts on Mondays AND Fridays
- When IT surprised me with a new laptop AND remembered to transfer my files
- When You-Know-Who died at the end of Book 7
- Dry-erase boards that actually erase
- The brave soul who cleaned out the refrigerator
- When I'm early to an all-staff meeting and secure a seat near the door
- That HR finally sent a memo telling people to STOP clipping their nails at their desk
- OOO autoresponders
- Hi there! Holiday revelry and debauchery ahead, proceed with caution. By that, I mean I'm on vacation, I'm definitely sunburnt, and I'm sorry I missed your email. Don't you worry: While I pretend to be Santa in front of my kids, my colleague Ryan will cover for me. Just email him at [email protected] if you need urgent assistance.
- I'm out of the office for Thanksgiving, and instead of answering emails, I'm answering the age-old question of pumpkin or pecan pie. If you need me, please leave a message with your favorite recipe!
RELATED: 85 Funny Usernames for Everything Online.
What should I put in my out-of-office message?
While there's room for flexibility, your out-of-office messages should always confirm that you are—in fact—"out of the office" and unable to answer emails. You should also include the dates or span of time you'll be out, who to reach in case the sender needs immediate assistance, as well as a proper sign-off.
What's a good professional out-of-office message?
If a funny out-of-office message isn't appropriate in context, then you can stick to something more standard. Feel free to use the following blurb:
"Hello. I will be out of the office starting [DATE] through [DATE] returning [DATE]. If you need to get in touch with someone while I am away, please contact [NAME] at [EMAIL]. Otherwise, I will respond to your emails upon my return. Thank you!"
Now that you've read through our very best OOO messages, there's only one thing left to do: Turn on auto-reply and enjoy your time off! You can also sign up for our newsletter to find out what's next!