The Age of People Dying From Coronavirus Is Lowest in These States
There are more COVID deaths in people younger than 65 in these states than others.
Much of the emphasis throughout the coronavirus pandemic has been placed on older people. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people older than 65 are considered at highest risk for COVID-19, because the "risk for severe illness increases with age." However, that doesn't mean people under the age of 65 can't be affected by the virus as well. In fact, people younger than 65 can and have died from the coronavirus—albeit at lower rates than those older. And according to a new study by the Kaiser Family Foundation, where you live may make a difference on how the virus affects you if you are young. States in the South have a higher percentage of people under the age of 65 dying from the coronavirus than other states. These are the states where the age of people dying from coronavirus is lowest. And for more on COVID deaths, This Is Why Coronavirus Is Killing More Men Than Women, New Study Says.
The amount of people over the age of 65 dying in the entire country from coronavirus is 80 percent. The amount of COVID deaths in that same age group in Alabama is only 76 percent, meaning 24 percent of those dying are under the age of 65. This is despite having a similar population age distribution as the United States average—so this "finding is not a function of having a younger population," according to the study. And for more on state virus statistics, Your State Should Lock Down Again Once It Hits This Exact Benchmark.
Kansas is one of only two states out of 10 that are not Southern states where the age of coronavirus deaths is lowest. Like Alabama, only 76 percent of those in the state dying from the virus are 65 and older.
In Tennessee, 7 percent of people dying from coronavirus in this state are under the age of 55. And 15 percent are between the ages of 55 and 64—meaning that just like Alabama and Kansas, only 76 percent of those dying due to COVID-19 in the state are older than 65. And for more on coronavirus in this state and others, discover The Biggest Coronavirus Hotspot in Every State.
More than 430 people over the age of 65 have died from the coronavirus in Nevada. However, more than 130 people under 65 have died from the virus—meaning that almost 1 out of 4 COVID deaths in the state are people that are younger than 65.
In Arizona, 26 percent of those dying in the state from the coronavirus are under the age of 65—that's more than 600 younger deaths. Moreover, 11 percent of those deaths are people even younger, under the age of 55. And for more on Arizona's coronavirus fight, This Is What Stopped Arizona's Severe Coronavirus Surge, Doctor Says.
Aside from Kansas, Nebraska is the only other non-Southern state on this list. (Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico are in the Southwest, but the study includes them in the Southern category.) Like Arizona, only 74 percent of COVID deaths in this state are people over the age of 65. The other 26 percent are people under the age of 65.
Nearly 10 percent of those dying from COVID in the state of Mississippi are under the age of 55. And 16 percent are aged 55 to 64. That means 26 percent of people dying from the virus in Mississippi are younger adults under the age of 65. And for more up-to-date information, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Only 71 percent of deaths from coronavirus in Arkansas have been over the age of 65. So, 29 percent of those who have died from COVID in this state are under the age of 65.
In New Mexico, a little more than 13 percent of those who have died from the coronavirus have been under the age of 55. And another group of nearly 13 percent have been people aged 55 to 64.
Texas is the state that has the most people dying from the coronavirus under the age of 65. People over the age of 65 only account for 70 percent of COVID-19 deaths in this state—meaning that 30 percent of COVID-19 deaths are people younger than 65. And for more states to keep an eye on, These 6 States Could Become the Next Hotspots, Harvard Doctor Says.