Move over, Jenny Craig, Oprah, and Gwyneth. There’s a new healthy eating and weight-loss guru in town: Tom Brady. Yes, the four-time Super Bowl MVP, Uggs spokesman, and husband to Gisele Bündchen is taking his unique and much-talked-about diet to the masses.
Brady’s new healthy living book The TB12 Method will hit stores later this month. “There aren’t any other 40-year-old NFL quarterbacks who are still performing at their peak level,” Jonathan Karp, president and publisher of Simon & Schuster, Brady’s publisher, told The Wall Street Journal. “So clearly, something about this method is working.”
And, for what it’s worth, the publisher is betting big that Brady’s appeal extends far beyond Foxboro. He received a reported $5 million advance for the book, which means that he’ll need to sell more than 500,000 copies of the The TB12 Method to turn a profit.
So what does Brady’s ageless diet actually look like?
“80 percent of what [Tom and Gisele] eat is vegetables,” Allen Campbell, the couple’s personal chef, told Boston.com in an in-depth interview. “The other 20 percent is lean meats: grass-fed organic steak, duck every now and then, and chicken. As for fish, [it’s mostly] wild salmon.”
It sounds simple, but it’s a lot more complicated than that: For example, some vegetables—like mushrooms—are utterly verboten, while olive oil has to be 100 percent natural, and can’t be used for cooking. Here’s everything we know about Tom Brady’s diet, in case you want to get a head start on eating like a champion. And while you’re tailoring your diet, be sure to cut out the 40 Unhealthiest Foods If You’re Over 40.
Of course, Brady has a personal chef at his beck-and-call—Campbell shops for the family on a near-daily basis and purchases only the freshest, wholly organic vegetables he can find—so it’s easier for him. But the closer you can you can get your crisper to one-hundred percent organic, the better. “If it’s not organic, I don’t use it,” Campbell told Boston.com. And for more healthy eating tips, here are the 10 Healthiest Foods For Your Heart.
Nightshades—a particularly family of vegetable that includes eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes—are not anti-inflammatory. As such, Brady avoids them like the plague.
But, concedes Campbell in the same interview, “Tomatoes trickle in every now and then, but just maybe once a month. I’m very cautious about tomatoes. They cause inflammation.” But if you’re going to eat tomatoes, eat them with avocado: That’s one of the 13 Healthiest Food Combos For People Over 40.
“Sugar is the death of people,” Campbell also revealed. “If you just eat sugar and carbs—which a lot of people do—your body is so acidic, and that causes disease.” Of course, sugars exist in many of our foods. But Brady, per Campbell’s instruction, avoids more specifically the sodas and sweets that pervade our shopping aisles.
Breaking with the average American—we’re the second-highest meat-consuming nation on the planet—only 20 percent of Brady’s diet consists of meat. And when he does eat meat, the quarterback only eats the best: Grass-fed steak, duck, and, on occasion, chicken and salmon—but only if the salmon is line-caught.
Brady never drinks coffee—or, for that matter, any caffeinated beverage. Caffeine provides an essential energy boost to many of us, but Brady’s diet is optimized to provide him natural energy throughout the day. In other words, he doesn’t need any help powering through a mid-afternoon slump.
Campbell only uses Himalayan pink salt. Iodized salt—the table salt you’re likely consuming—leads to increased hunger cravings. Plus, Himalayan pink salt includes more nutrients—like magnesium, potassium, and calcium—that aren’t found in traditional table salt.
Campbell only cooks with coconut oil, and explains to Boston.com: “Fats like canola oil turn into trans fats” when you cook with them. However, Brady will eat raw, uncooked olive oil—say, tossed with some greens.
Of course, only eating vegetables and the leanest of meats will leave a man hungry. To fill out the diet, Campbell sticks to whole grains only: brown rice, quinoa, millet, and beans.
None of the meals Campbell prepares for Brady include dairy. Though we’re taught that milk makes for stronger bones (recall those “Got Milk?” ads), it turns out that dairy doesn’t actually do anything about preventing fractures.
Brady will have the occasional banana in a smoothie, but generally avoids fruits. In fact, Brady may be the only person in the world who’s never had a strawberry. Yes, never.
For more great tips, here’s how to Stay Young and Lean with These 20 Anti-Aging Foods for Folks Over 40.
For more amazing advice for living smarter, looking better, and feeling younger, follow us on Facebook now!